While facts about women and heart disease are frightening and maybe even a bit surprising, part of the philosophy of the Women's Heart Center is to keep our clients apprised of facts about women and heart disease.
Here are some facts that may make your heart beat a little faster. But we feel education is power and the Women's Heart Center is dedicated to empowering the women of our community.
- Almost nine million women die from heart disease each year, accounting for a third of all deaths in women worldwide.
- Three million women die from stroke each year.
- Stroke accounts for more deaths among women than men.
- Eight million women in the US are currently living with heart disease; 35,000 are under age of 65.
- 430,000 American women have heart attacks annually; 85,000 are under age 65; 35,000 are under 55. The average age a women having a heart attack is 70 years old.
- Women's heart attacks experienced under the age of 50 are twice as likely than a men's to be fatal.
- 25% of men who have heart attacks die within 1 year - for women, it's 42%.
- Heart attacks kill six times as many women as breast cancer.
But here's the good news. With prevention, early diagnosis and intervention, you can protect your heart and your life. The Presence Saint Joseph Hospital Heart & Vascular Institute can help.
Call today to schedule your Presence Saint Joseph Hospital Women's Heart Center Screen, Score & More - 847-931-5514