Opened in December 1999, the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at Presence St. Mary's Hospital was the first fixed-site Cardiac Cath Service in the Kankakee area. Cardiac Catheterization is a diagnostic procedure used to identify arterial blockages to the heart.
Our Cardiac Cath Lab uses only the latest technology. These state-of-the-art systems, the ANGIOSTAR PLUS from Siemens and the GE Innova 4000 are the most progressive systems on the market today. They reduce radiation exposure, decrease procedure time, and store images on a CD-ROM.
Registered nurses and X-ray technologists who make up the staff at Presence St. Mary's Cath Lab have many years of experience in angiography and cardiac catheterization as well as coronary interventions. In addition to their cardiac cath experience, the department's nursing staff also has multiple cumulative years of critical care service.
Cardiac procedures performed at PSMH cath lab include:
- Coronary Angiograms, coronary angioplasties and stenting with drug-eluting stents.
- Intravascular Coronary Ultrasound.
- Permanent pacemaker and Bi-ventricular pacemaker insertions.
- Automatic Implantable Cardiovertor Defibrillators.
- Electrophysiology studies with radiofrequency ablations.
- Uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing or pain in the center of the chest for more than a few minutes, or that comes and goes
- Pain through the shoulders, neck or arms
- Chest discomfort with lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, nausea, or shortness of breath
Less Common Symptoms:
- Pain in the chest or jaw area
- Numbness in the arm or neck
- Shortness of breath or fatigue
If so, you may have suffered from a heart attack. In the event of an attack, seek immediate medical attention by calling 9-1-1.