The staff of Presence St. Mary's Hospital welcomes you to our outpatient surgery center. Our Center has been specifically designed with your safety and comfort in mind. We use the very latest in surgical technology, while providing you with the personal care you deserve. Our staff of registered nurses is skillfully trained to administer the very best of surgical care.
In order to prepare for your outpatient procedure, we will contact you to schedule a pre-admission interview and testing appointment. This appointment should occur several days before your surgery and will consist of any blood tests and/or x-rays that are needed. It is also a time for you to ask any additional questions that you may have regarding your outpatient surgery.
If your child is scheduled for a procedure, we encourage you to call (815) 937-2347 for an appointment for a pre-admission tour of our facility. On the day of your surgery, you should be accompanied by a relative or a friend. A comfortable waiting area is provided for those who wish to wait for part or all of your stay. Outpatient procedures vary in length from 1 to 6 hours.
Please use the following guidelines on the day of your procedure:
- Please arrive on time at your pre-assigned time on the pre-assigned date. Surgery Registration area located adjacent to the main lobby. Patient Registration area located adjacent to the emergency room.
- Please DO NOT eat or drink anything (including water) after midnight prior to your procedure. Any stomach contents can affect your health. Only take specific medications if instructed by your doctor or nurse.
- Please do not smoke on the day of your procedure. Smoking can adversely affect your anesthetic.
- Please do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before or after your procedure. Alcohol may increase the depth of anesthesia.
- Please shower or bathe with soap and water before you arrive and remove make-up and nail polish. We ask that you also do not use any lotions, powder or perfumes.
- Please wear casual clothes that can easily be folded. A gown, robe and slippers will be provided for you. For your protection, we ask that you leave all valuables at home. Children may bring a favorite toy.
- Please arrange to have a friend or relative provide your transportation. Patients receiving anesthetic drugs are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle within 24 hours of discharge.
- If you become ill and/or can not keep your appointment, please contact us at (815) 937-2347.
Please use the following guidelines after your procedure is completed:
- Please follow the instructions of your doctor in regard to diet, medication and activity level. In general, we advise you to rest at home following your surgery and avoid exercise. It is best to increase your diet gradually, from liquids to a light diet, and then you can resume your normal diet.
- We recommend that you also have a friend or a relative to help you at home the day of your procedure.
- Within several days of your surgery, a Presence St. Mary's nurse will call you at home to monitor your condition and answer any follow-up questions you may have.
- In order to continue giving the highest quality of service to our patients. you may be asked to complete an evaluation or questionnaire by mail following your outpatient care. This is completely voluntary; however. only through continuous patient feedback are we, at Presence St. Mary's, able to maintain excellence.
Patients may be dropped off at the main entrance located on the south side of the hospital or the ground level parking area.