Some wounds need advanced care to heal. For patients with non-healing wounds, The Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine at Presence St. Mary's Hospital offers a complete Wound Care Program with many specialized treatments to promote and speed healing. Our certified physicians, nurses and three individualized hyperbaric chambers provide support for a growing need for advanced wound healing technology.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is a treatment in which patients with indicated conditions rest in a specialized treatment chamber, breathing 100% oxygen at pressures greater than normal atmospheric (sea level) pressure. HBOT increases the amount of oxygen that is being circulated to the body tissues. The increased oxygen delivered to the body through the bloodstream helps to stimulate the growth of new tissue and maximize the white blood cells' ability to fight infection.
Services offered include:
- Wound consultation/evaluation, diagnostic and ongoing assessments and treatment
- Non-invasive vascular studies
- Specialty wound dressings
- Bio-engineered skin grafts/substitutes
- Compression therapy
- Wound cultures and biopsies
- Treatment of wound, skin and bone infections including antibiotic therapy
- Patient and family education
- Pressure off-loading devices and footwear
- Negative pressure wound therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for:
- Diabetic wounds of the lower extremity
- Chronic refractory osteomyelitis
- Preparation and preservation of compromised skin grafts and flaps
- Acute peripheral arterial insuffiency
Terrill Applewhite, M.D., Wound Center Medical Director
Rajasekhar Kolla, M.D., Family Medicine
Timothy Friedrich, D.P.M., Podiatry
Non-healing wounds | Additional services and treatments | Who is a candidate for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
For more information or to speak with a caregiver, please call The Center for Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine at 815.937.2273